What Is ISO 14001
ISO14001 is most easily understood as a “book of best environmental practice” for a company or an organisation. Its objective is to provide a proven framework that helps you reduce the environmental impact your company’s operations have on the environment.
Like its sister quality standard, underlying the framework is a process of creative destruction; the objective of which is to ensure the organisation reduces its environmental impact over time.
The ISO14001 standard provides a framework that asks a company to:
- Identify the impact of the organisation’s activities on the environment;
- Ensure the organisation conforms to current environmental regulations and legislation; and
- Commit to a process of continual environmental improvement.
Benefits Of ISO 14001
There have been many studies into the benefits of ISO14001. One study by Aspects International Ltd confirmed that organisations implementing ISO 14001 had:
- Improved market share – 80%
- Improved financial performance – 60%
- Improved legal compliance – 81%
- Improved product benefits – 60%
- Improved customer satisfaction – 78%
- Achieved pay back in 1 year – 60%